Stained and discoloured teeth can make it difficult to feel confident in your smile. It may impact the way you feel about yourself and adversely affect how you interact with others, socially and professionally. Fortunately, there are many options available for people who are considering having their teeth whitened.
Teeth whitening treatment can restore your smile by removing superficial stains and discolourations. While there are many over-the-counter teeth whitening kits available, the safest and most effective methods of teeth whitening are performed by a dental professional with proper education, training, and experience.
What Causes Tooth Discolouration?
Discolouration and stains on the teeth are a normal part of ageing; however, certain dietary patterns and lifestyle habits can make it worse. Some of these may include:
- Certain food and beverages – Coffee, dark teas and sodas, red wine, and dark-coloured fruits and vegetables.
- Cigarettes – Cigarettes and tobacco products are a major culprit in stained teeth.
- Dental hygiene – Individuals with poor dental hygiene habits can result in tooth discolouration.
- Poor overall health – Certain diseases and health conditions such as celiac disease can lead to staining of teeth.
- Radiation and chemotherapy – Degradation of the enamel of the tooth during various radiation procedures can lead to discolouration.
- Medications – Certain antibiotics that are given to children while their teeth are still developing, antihistamines such as Benadryl, antipsychotics, and hypertension medication can all lead to stained teeth.
- Dental materials – Mercury and silver amalgam fillings can lead to a greyish-black discolouration on the teeth.
- Age – With age, the enamel on your teeth begins to wear away, revealing dentin, the yellowish-layer of tissue directly underneath.
- Genetics – Some people are born with stronger or brighter enamel than others.
- Excessive fluoride – High amounts of fluoride in the water or overuse of fluoride treatment can both lead to tooth stains.
- Trauma to the teeth – Severe damage to the teeth can disrupt proper enamel growth in children and lead to damaged enamel in adults.
At-Home Teeth Whitening
At Dentistry on Solent in Baulkham Hills, we offer our patients two options of professional-grade teeth whitening services. Our at-home teeth whitening kit includes custom-fitted trays and a whitening gel that you can take with you and use in the convenience and privacy of your own home.
Results are normally seen in about 10-14 days, depending on the level of staining.
Although this is an at-home method such as those you for purchase over the counter, this method is superior for two reasons.
First, our dentistry-grade peroxide teeth whitening gel is stronger than those available over the counter in a shop or chemist. Secondly, your custom-fitted trays are designed specifically for the shape of your teeth and provide necessary protection for your gums.
Chairside Laser Teeth Whitening
Our second option for professional-level teeth whitening is in-person chairside laser treatment. We offer Zoom, Opalescence, and Pola teeth whitening services. Typically, this service can be performed in as little as one hour.
When questioning how teeth whitening works, with this process, a peroxide bleach gel is applied to your teeth, and a special light is used in conjunction with the gel. Every 15 minutes, the gel is rinsed off, and the process begins again until the desired level of whitening is reached.
Investing in Your Smile
Now that you understand a bit about the teeth whitening services we offer, as well as how teeth whitening works, it is important to consider the costs. While it may be tempting to choose an over-the-counter method because of affordability, teeth whitening should be looked at as an investment in your teeth.
You may pay more upfront for a practice-based whitening treatment, but you are paying for the safety and security of a well-trained dental professional. The Australian Dental Association has made clear the risk involved with attempting a whitening treatment on your own.
The cost of your teeth whitening treatment will vary based on a number of factors. If cleanings or dental treatments are required prior to the whitening, this will affect the cost. In addition, if you require a crown or other dental restoration, this will need to be done after the procedure to match your newly brightened teeth.
How Long do the Results Last?
Individuals should seek teeth whitening treatments about once per year. Lifestyle factors and dietary habits can make a difference, along with taking excellent care of your teeth. Dr Rai and the team of professionals at Dentistry on Solent are ready to help you accomplish all of your teeth whitening goals as well as advise you on ways to make the results last as long as possible.
As with any dental procedure, it is important to find and work with a team of professionals whom you can trust. We are confident in our reputation here at Dentistry on Solent, and we look forward to providing you with top-quality dental services. Contact us today at 02 9158 6137 with any questions and to schedule your teeth whitening appointment.